Friday, September 15, 2006

My Mother's Daughter

My entire life we have given my mother crap about being scatterbrained. She says things like "Did you tell your sister about the thing you tried to do but didn't?" Um, what? Or she'll make a list with random words on it, and later wonder what it was about. Or get in the car, drive for ten minutes, and realize that she can't remember what she was about to do.

My plan all day was to head to Trader Joe's tonight to pick up groceries. One of my all-time best friends is coming to town tomorrow, and I didn't want him to walk in and find an empty refrigerator. Also, we have been ordering food WAAAAY too much this week. So all day I kept a grocery list on a sheet of scrap paper. Every time I thought of something, I'd check to see if I'd already written it down. If not, I'd write it on the list. So imagine my surprise when my sister/roommate began cracking up while reading the list in the car on the way to TJ's! When she read it aloud, I started laughing so hard that I started to cry. I literally had to pull off the road because I couldn't see.

Here's what my list said:

Berries
Tomato
Lettuce
Potatoes
Garlic*
Peaches
Morels
Garlic*
Onions
Shallots
Avocado
Garlic*
Shrimp (2)
Salmon
Chi**
Cream
TJ's***

*Reasons that I am not currently making out with anyone. Do I really need that much garlic? REALLY?

**I think this was supposed to say chicken. I can't imagine what else it meant.

***What? Was I planning on buying the whole store? Was I afraid I wouldn't remember the reason for the list???

No comments: