Sunday, September 03, 2006

Good night, sleep tight...

Okay, so is anyone else completely freaked out by this whole bed bug epidemic? Because I am, without question, freaked out. Particularly now that I'm getting massive bug bites every night.

Realistically, I am aware that these bites are much more likely the result of Pierre's fleas than bed bugs. I know that each time I check the corners of my mattress, nary a bed bug appears. Yet each new itchy bump on my legs inspires a mild panic, and an immediate need to wash every linen on my bed.

This also happens to be the first time in my life that I have even momentarily thought of pesticide as less evil than the blood of Satan. Growing up I remember being horrified by DDT (that's what it was called, right?) making all those bald eagle eggs soft and infertile. I was anti-pesticide to the point that I would pull on gloves and remove the junebugs from our garden plants BY HAND. And I did not like bugs as a kid. Not even a little bit.

But bed bugs? Um, ew. I would blast those suckers with chemicals in a hot minute.

I think there's also a sense of violation when you feel like your bed may or may not have been taken over by insects. Add to that the fact that those insects are living off of you, and you have the makings of one of my nightmares.

I am seriously considering getting a sleeping bag.

No comments: