Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Top Ten

For some unknown reason, I have recently been contemplating what I would do if I could only own ten albums. (Apparently all my real problems have ceased to exist.) I can only assume that this is on my mind because approximately one year ago I was driving alone across the country on my way to San Francisco. So, as far as today is concerned, here is the definitive October 2006 edition of "Ten Albums I Can't Live Without."

1. El Corazon, Steve Earle - I don't know why I love this CD so much. I just do.
2. OK Computer, Radiohead - The first CD I bought in college.
3. Afterglow, Sarah McLachlan - Shoot me, I'm a girl. I've been to Lilith Fair, and I love this woman's voice.
4. The complete Bach Flute Sonatas, Michala Petri and Keith Jarrett - I'm a music nerd, and this is the absolute best Bach out there.
5. Jagged Little Pill, Acoustic, Alanis Morrisette - This still makes me feel like I'm sixteen years old. I don't know why that's a good thing, because I hated being sixteen. I guess I just mean it reminds me what it was like to be full of possibility.
6. Hush, Bobby McFerrin and Yo Yo Ma. If you have not heard this, get thee to the library... or amazon.com.
7. World Without Tears, Lucinda Williams. So raw and wonderful.
8. Grace, Jeff Buckley. Dude, how can this not be on your list???
9. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, Neko Case. When did I realize that I really do like "country" music? When I met Neko Case.
10. My box-set of Beethoven symphonies, the Berlin Philharmonic and Claudio Abbado. You aren't required to agree with me, but if you happen to be looking for an amazing recording of these, try these. And I know, technically it's a five-disc set, but whatever...

So I'll probably realize tomorrow that there's something major I left off the list. And I'm sure I'll be embarrassed in one week that at least one of these was included. If you have a moment, I'd love to hear your lists. Imagine yourself in the car for six days and you only have ten albums. What would you choose?

3 comments:

Mair said...

Wait ... did you actually MEET Neko? If so, I must hear this story.

"Dude, how can this not be on your list???" is the new "Dude, where's my car?"

Also, I think box sets is cheating, but that's just me. ;-)

Abby said...

Whoops. No, I didn't meet her for real, just via my eardrums. Who met her via YOU, incidentally.

LOL. I agree on the box sets. But hey, I figure who else is going to want the Beethoven symphonies? I gotta give 'em all the love they can get!

Abby said...

P.S. - Malia, of all people in the world, I want your list most! Get thinkin' gal!