Monday, October 16, 2006

If I were in that place

I seem to be surrounded by people planning their lives with The One. I am thrilled for all of you in that position, and I offer you my most heartfelt congratulations. Recently, someone asked me what I was looking for in a relationship. My answer, that I merely want to enjoy being a girl again, surprised even myself. I am, admittedly, not in any kind of place right now where I'm looking to "fall in love." Not that I'd be opposed to being swept off my feet, but I don't currently feel that anxiety over whether or not I'll meet The One. It's odd to realize that about myself. I've been a hopeless romantic since I was a kid. I've read all the Jane Austen novels about 20 times apiece. But right now I am content to enjoy the company of a new friend, and to observe the world as a whole soul, rather than half of a unit. The notion of a soul mate appeals to me only in the way that trading lives with a celebrity appeals; Sure, there's a degree of novelty there, but nothing I'm pining after. Perhaps the nonstop drama of the past year-plus has gotten to me, but I'm suddenly feeling like there's a calm approaching, and I long for it. While many of my peers seem to be opening the chapter of creating a home and a family, I am content to cease the seemingly endless transition that hit me shortly after my 24th birthday.

That being said, have you heard Sting's new version of Fields of Gold? Because seriously, even in my less-than-romantic state of mind, that song could knock me back on my Jane Austen ass.

Yeah, that's all I have to say tonight. Deep thoughts.

No comments: