Friday, June 09, 2006

Drive-by texting

One of the greatest parts about my name is that it generally places me as the first entry on every friend's cell phone contact list. This means that I receive a wide array of random voicemails and text messages from people I haven't talked to in years. The voicemails are usually from someone's purse or pocket, unidentifiable voices mumbling unidentifiable words. Occasionally, however, my phone trills happily that a text message has arrived from one of these long-lost comrades. I open my phone, press a button, and read "Will walk dog and be over shortly." Or "Need you to hit a homer today." Or my all time favorite: "Having bathroom problems, can't go dancing."

These little notes are like snapshots into my friends' lives. They are also fantastic surprises, always unexpected, usually full of the kinds of details I miss when I don't live near someone. Sometimes I text them back, just to let them know they've made contact. Usually, though, I save these small remembrances of my past so I can look over them again later. They serve as a reminder of where I've been and that we're never alone in where we're going.

1 comment:

Mair said...

You're totally tops in my list. Happily, I don't recognize any of those texts. Yet.