Monday, May 29, 2006

Spring Fever

Every year, right around mid-April, I develop this feeling of excited anticipation. I wake up in the morning and the air smells like possibility, the sun on my face feels like a message that my life is about to change. As I wait for the change to manifest, I always find myself dreaming of what it might be: a new job, falling wildly in love, winning a million dollars. Invariably the change is more like realizing that it's time to do the laundry and suddenly hitting the jackpot with clothes I'd forgotten about completely. Regardless, that feeling always surprises me, and I treasure it each year. It is like a reminder that I am not yet jaded by life, that I still believe in impossible things. I cling to this part of myself like a child who knows the Tooth Fairy isn't real, and yet refuses to admit it. Perhaps this is my version of refusing to achieve maturity. But hey, if that feeling of pure joy and eagerness disappears, all that's left of springtime is the air getting warmer. And how boring is that?

4 comments:

Mair said...

If the Tooth Fairy lives, she lives in San Francisco. I think that city just inspires feelings like that.

Also, hi! ;-)

Abby said...

Well, hi back at you! I am not convinced this is cool enough to be reading yet, but happy to see you!

Mair said...

Oh, hush. You're amusing and cute and need to go public with that. =)

FB said...

Hi,
lovely cats! warm words!

rabah from fattybeauty.com