Saturday, February 24, 2007

Reason #249.7 That I Need A Social Network

I had two free tickets to a really cool show tonight. The show is a band whose members are from other bands that I like. (Does that sentence make sense? I've re-read it about six times, and I can't decide.) The show started 45 minutes ago, and I am at home. Why? Because after three days of asking everyone and their mother, no one could go. This is due, mostly, to the fact that I only have about five people living locally who would be interested in going to a show like this.

I need friends. I need local friends. If there were a match.com-type thing for friends, I would totally sign up for it. I'd be all over that website, I'd pay whatever exorbitant fee they were asking, because I need friends. How do you meet people after college? I know it'll happen, that it's only going to get better, but really... I'm lonely. Which sounds pathetic, because I am constantly busy. But this is the first time that I can think of when I haven't had a trusted group of people I could call for impromptu fun. This is the first time that I've eaten dinner alone night after night. This is the first time that I've reverted to eating cereal for dinner, because cooking for one just seems sad.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I can't even believe that I have to ask this question, because friends have never been an issue for me. But I am at a loss. So, folks, what do you think? Suggestions would be most appreciated!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the odd thing about today's blog posting was that I totally could have been someone you met on match.com that at least became a friend but you didn't reply to my message more than a week ago. I'm not bitter - I'm sure you had some reasons but since I'm just 1 guy in the SF bay area, the odds are that you must have had tens of other guys(minimum) message you on match.com with some mysteriously appealing qualities.

It's time to spill the beans, and I have no rice to add(though being asian should be sufficient, yes?). I first saw your match.com posting in November? about having some blog that could be found by searching for throat pus sick sore or something like that that was three words. And I mean, no one can resist that kind of invitation...

(frog ribbits)

I started reading your blog. I had some extra time in my daily web surfing, so I actually read your entire blog because you write well, you write humorously, you write often, and we share a lot of similarities that I should totally put in list form.

But, instead I'll make a list about why I didn't write immediately.
1. You don't have a contact email on your blogging profile.
2. You had someone with potential in your life and I'm all about appropriate timing. I think you also removed your match.com profile.
3. You had the gala where another person in your life would totally have been a distraction.
4. How and what do you write someone you find interesting, after you've read their entire blog and they know nothing about you - and make it totally non-stalkerish?

So, the plan was to wait until you've settled in, had some time to yourself, and see some sign that you're interested in meeting someone new. I have lots of patience. I was told by a female friend not to write lengthy amounts of information to women in the introductory email, so I figured I'd try a match.com message that was blog-blind and fairly short/simple. Eh, didn't work.

By the way, I need to thank you for writing about Damien Rice because I totally dug his songs. I honestly prefer Lisa's voice and Vyvienne comedic routines(found on youtube). There's even a great youtube video on how to play 9 crimes that also instructed me that I totally can't keep tempo on piano but should try with my play deprived electric violin for fun.

I guess the question posed now is: If you wanted to meet more people and you found someone(sadly allergic to cats) who was interested even after reading many revealing(holiday jam) and exaggerated self-deprecating comments(an army?, really now) about yourself. What do you do?

Anonymous said...

Girl, I feel you. It's HARD after college. You know all the usual crap, like join organizations and blah-blah, so I'm not going to feed your head with that kind of shit, but I do have two things I want to mention. First, why couldn't you have gone to the concert by yourself? You may have even met some friends there (with similar interests). Second, I had a girlfriend who put out a Craigslist message saying she was looking for concert buddies -- a very specific type of friend -- and ended up with a nice one to go to shows with. I've often thought of searching for a rock-climbing partner online. Maybe there's something you can do along those lines? Oh, wait, I lied: a third point. While I love living by myself, I've seen a lot of people settle into new cities faster with roommates. Is that an option?

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Abbersnail, if you find the answer to this will you let me know? Oh, I have one for ya: move to Denver. I swear, it might be the world's most friendly city. At least in my sister's experience, that is. As moving to Denver is not an option for ME, alas, I still have no idea. Oh, and hey, what's up with commenter numero uno? Hmmmm....