Friday, December 01, 2006

Job crap

I really am trying to have a positive, devil-may-care attitude about my current profession. I'm attempting to go with the flow and look at my job from the perspective that it's a short-term fix to a long-term problem. I am trying to be mature and realize that it's my first job, and no one gets the dream job on the first try. (If you've managed it, please don't tell me. I'll cry.)

But for one moment, I need to be juvenile and whine about the lack of gratification I feel on a daily basis. Folks, my major task of each and every day is printing and stuffing envelopes. Yes, I work for San Francisco Ballet, a fabulous arts organization. Yes, I adore my boss. Yes, I feel appreciated by my coworkers for the job that I do. But it is really difficult for me to accept that as "enough." I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I'm one of the greatest brainiacs of our generation, but I frequently feel like my skills are being completely wasted. I look forward to the odd day that someone needs me to write an acknowlegement letter for them, because it's an excuse to actually think. I am constantly walking from office to office, asking people to gie me something to do. I am not someone who enjoys sitting idle, particularly not when I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing. Thus far today, I have mailed about 150 letters, printed 400 or so envelopes, and talked on the phone to several elderly donors. I have also given dietary advice to someone down the hall who was freaking out about the fat in his salad dressing, checked my email 8-bazillion times, and spun around in my chair. I talked on the phone with one of my former bosses, who needed help with a formatting question. I ate lunch, and have stared at the wall for an obscene amount of time.

I don't mean to be a snob, but people, I have a masters degree. I know, I know, it's in music, but come on! I am at a loss as to how I can alter my current situation in a minor way in order to make it more bearable. The thing is, I love my life. I am generally happy on a day-to-day basis. I just feel this major sense of frustration when I'm sitting in my office, feeling like I'm coasting down a road to nowhere.

Blargh!

1 comment:

Nko said...

oh, man, I feel you.

It's like you would be perfectly happy and capable, even, to do tons of work - non-stop, 9 to 5 things to do! but that occupational boredom - - I think it actually gives you cancer.. I read that somewhere while I was surfing the internet at work...

Wish I knew what to tell you... In all of my spare time, I started a new music organization (while I was working the day job)... It was great, because on the one hand, I had time to do all of my dayjob tasks, AND run a concert series - all from my work computer...

the sad part was that I STILL had 20+ hours a week to burn sitting at that desk..

I'm sure you know plenty, but I could give you a list of some fun websites to peruse. I've never surfed the internet as hard as I did when I was working for the man..

good luck. be strong.