Thursday, November 09, 2006

Today's word is "gross"

I have strep throat. Which is thoroughly disgusting, and which I haven't had since I was a kid. In fact, I am taking antibiotics for the first time since (ready?) age 13. I generally don't break down and take antibiotics, as I feel they are really over-prescribed, but when I saw the pockets of pus on my tonsils...

Hey, the title of the post should have warned you. Don't go acting like you were blindsided by the pus.

Gross item of business, number two: My friend's cat left him a pile of dead rats on his doorstep this morning. And by "pile," I mean that there were four gigantic, post-mortem rats. She is totally, completely, and utterly diabolical, but this is noteworthy for several reasons. Primarily, despite plotting my demise for several years now, last week was the first time she'd ever actually killed anything. Since then, rats have appeared daily at his door. I think she's just practicing for the day when I next visit. She'll whip out her first claw and slice me, nose to naval.

Gross item number three: My next door neighbor has a massively phlegmy cough that won't stop. It makes the walls shake. It is disgusting. I think he must stand right next to our joint wall whenever he coughs, just to maximize the gross quotient.

On the upside of things, however, GO VIRGINIA! I cannot believe my homestate elected a democratic Senator! Way to get 'em, vee-ay! Virginia is for lovers! (Seriously, that's one of our state slogans. And really, it qualifies as "gross," don't you think?)

And just to round out this post, the awesomest moment of my day? When my doctor looked down my throat and shrieked. Literally. Why? Because even he found it gross.

It's nice to know I have such a dramatic effect on people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you really see the pockets of pus on your tonsils? Because ... that's GROSS! Yet fascinating.

And I happen to like the Virginia slogan. =)

Abby said...

Dude, I love the Virginia slogan, too. But it does illicit a certain reaction when I share it with others. And yes, visible pus pockets. I kind of can't stop checking them in the bathroom mirror. Ew.