Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Deja vu all over again

I always feel an internal shift with the change of seasons. Not that seasons change all so much in San Francisco, but watching kids return to school and starting my new job is enough to create the sense of autumn. With the adjustment I always feel this sense of awakening. Smells cause a physical reaction, specific sounds are tangible. I know that this is simply what most people call deja vu (which I'm still not sure I'm spelling correctly???). Occasionally I can remember exactly what it is I'm recalling, but usually I simply remember the sensation of being at a certain crossroads in my life. However, in anticipation of future deja vu, here is a list of specific things that I know will one day send me spiralling back to this past year in San Fran:

Weather at 59 degrees
Sourdough bread
The weight of fog on my skin
The burned-food-like smell of coffee beans roasting
The sound of Cantonese
Pink Lady apples
The smell of casserole with those fried onion thingies
The sound of an approaching bus
Waist hugs from little kids
The smell of Peking Duck
L'air du temps perfume
The smell of Redken shampoo
The completely unique smell of the San Francisco Ferry Building
The explosion of sunshine after a month of rain
Sex and the City
The taste of an amazing tomato
Avocados
Sufjan Stevens
Eucalyptus trees

No comments: